Tuesday, January 6, 2009

From showroom to Boardroom

While many of us are car enthusiasts, Karsono Kwee Executive Chairman of the Eurokars Group of companies and Entreprenuer of the Year 2006, took this one step further and transformed by his passion for cars into what is today a dynamic, thriving enterprise.

Love your job and you will never have to work a day in your life. Meet the man who gives a whole new meaning to this expression-Mr. Karsono Kwee, Executive Chairman of the Eurokars Group of Companies and Entreprenuer of the Year 2006.

Born in Surabaya, Indonesia, Mr. Karsono Kwee’s work revolves around the things he loves most – cars. At the tender age of 23, Karsono came to Singapore to source for an opportunity to purchase goods here in the hope of commencing a trading business in Indonesia. But a chance encounter resulted in the entrepreneur changing his focus and making it big in the automobile industry instead.“ At the time when i first landed in Singapore, I happened to see a car pass by in the car park at the airport. It was a Porsche, and i fell in love with it,” recollects Karsono.A car enthusiast since young, Karsono eventually seized the opportunity to edge out 10 other contenders and secured the Porsche franchise when Porsche was looking for a distributor in Singapore in 1985.“My passion for cars grew and the first car I owned was in fact, a Porsche.”

Taking Pole Position
Karsono transformed his simple passion for cars into a viable venture. After securing distributorship for Porsche, he set up Trans Eurokars Pte Ltd in 1991 as a distributor for Saab in Singapore. Today, it is the holding company of the Eurokars Group of Companies. The Group is one of the fastest growing and most dynamic distributors of premium automotive brands in Singapore.But the entrepreneur said the first few years in the business were not easy.“I had no automobile experience or background. I had to start from the bottom. I encountered several problems from the start but i persevered and i was very hands-on in the business.”Identifying only the finest marques, Eurokars Group brings into Singapore the sporty and flashy Porsche brand, turbocharged Saab cars, exciting Opel range, iconic Mini and the stately Rolls Royce brand.

In Indonesia, Eurokars Groups represents Porsche, Saab, Rolls Royce, BMW (Western Jakarta), Mazda (Southern Jakarta) and 3M car films.Today the company also prides itself in its solid foundation of marketing, customer focus, and excellence in sales and after-sales efforts.Emphasising on the importance of customer service, Karsono said, “Customers now have more discerning demands and being more technically savvy, they know what they want. They would also expect the best level of service at all times.”

Hitting the Mark
For his exceptional entrepreneurial skills, Karsono was crowned the Overall Winner of The Entrepreneur of the Year Award in 2006. Winning the title marked a significant milestone in Karsono’s entrepreneurial journey.“Recieving the award was certainly an encouragement for me and even till now, i continue to learn and pick up new tips on how to run my business better. My passion and persistence has not changed since i started in 1985.”“I love cars. It keeps my adrenalin pumping and i enjoy interacting with my customers, many of whom have become my circle of close friends.”Running a business like this is definitely no walk in the park. Like any entrepreneur, Karsono is kept busy on a daily basis, tending to matters in the office and ensuring everything is in order.“ I start the day at the Headquarters in my Sungei Kadut office. After going through the day’s documents. I will meet my departmental heads to keep myself abreast of any updates and also any other matters that need to be discussed..

Thereafter, i make my rounds at the workshop and admin departments to keep myself updated of the day to day operations.”“What keeps me motivated? It is really about my passion in the car business.”Out of the ShowroomCars aside, Karsono also indulges in his other hobbies- he unwinds over slow pop and sentimental music, finds time to appreciate wins, and is fascinated with timepieces, which he collects.But ever the enthusiast, there is no escaping Karsono’s core interest. He is the proud owner of several cars himself.“Of course, the cars that i own are those that my group represents, and also some other renowned brands, so that i can try their performance for myself. When buying my own car, I also look for style, reliability and of course, pricing.”When asked to reveal his personal favourite, Karsono is quick to respond. “ I like all of them!”“But my favourite, is still the Porsche 911 Turbo.”

Source: May June 2008 Entreprenuer’s Digest. Pg 19

All rights reserved.Copyright 2009.Genxcar shopping

No comments: